Installer: Add Install Modes
|Reported by:||bitigchi||Owned by:||nobody|
|Blocked By:||#3822||Blocking:||#16496, #17107|
Some ideas about improving the installer experience
Installer should do a brief system scan upon launch to get information about the system, then a window with three main options should be presented:
- Wipe system and install (asks about drives if there are more than one present -- no additional prompt. If there are more than one drives/partitions but only one operating system, it should select the partition with an existing OS install)
- Upgrade existing install to $OS_VERSION (finds the Haiku partition and overwrites the system files - "Overwrite system files" if installed version is the same)
- Install alongside other OS (should fix efi/boot menu and grub booting if present)
Below these options, there should be a checkbox present to install updates automatically. I guess in this case it's going to halt the file copy for the upgradeable packages and download them instead. This option should be greyed out if there is no internet connection present.
After selecting one of these options, these should happen:
- A progress bar with no additional prompt, install should complete and return success.
- Same as 1
- This is rather complicated to design and implement, but for the moment current installer screen can be presented, but still should fix boot menu (EFI/BIOS integration) and/or GRUB booting automatically.
A basic mockup is attached both as image and LibreOffice Draw file, so that if you have any ideas or improvements, you can use this as template (and attack back).
Related tickets are added to "Blocked By:".