These are the TODO items for the Haiku Package Management.
- If necessary, add a caching mechanism to speed up mounting it.
- Complete support for extracting and updating settings files: Merge support and user feedback are still missing.
- Add user notification/interaction support for initial verification (on start-up).
- Support packages being copied to the packages directory. Currently only moving works.
- Define packaging guidelines and create a tool to check packages against those.
- Status: Here's the wiki page defining the policy. It's still a work in progress. haikuporter has some policy checking built in already.
- Add system update support.
- Status: Mostly functional in pkgman (pkgman full-sync), but unsupported in HaikuDepot.
- Safe mode/recovery options:
- Disable packages installed in home.
Package/package repository format
- Add localization support. More info.
- Add support for repository keys (public/private) and package signing/check sums, so that it is possible to verify that data retrieved from a repository have not been tampered with.
- Add package sizes to repository. Since there are plans to support xz (or other high-ratio formats) compressed uncompressed packages for download that are recompressed for installation, we probably need to discriminate between download and installation sizes.
- Add support for a faster compression format (e.g. lz4). As it turns out, the currently used zlib compression is rather slow (slower than reading uncompressed data from a slow HD).
- Add MIME info for types supported by packaged applications (and sniffer rules?) to the package attributes.
- Add MIME directory watching to registrar, so it can update the MIME DB caches when packages are de-/activated.
- Get rid of post_install scripts. Do that in the build system.
- Get rid of UserBootscript. Start the scripts in "~/config/settings/boot/launch" from Bootscript instead.
- Update Installer.