|Version 56 (modified by 7 years ago) ( diff ),|
What is Coverity?
"Coverity Prevent is a static code analysis tool for C, C++, C# and Java source code. It is a commercial product which originated as the Stanford Checker, which used abstract interpretation to identify defects in source code." Wikipedia page
Haiku is currently a listed project.
Prerequisites for Use
- Commit rights to Haiku's source repository
- Coverity account (Ask Urias McCullough - umccullough@… - to help you set one up)
- Accepting the TOS upon first login (see: http://scan.coverity.com/policy.html )
- Supported web browser (modern version of IE, Firefox, Chrome (or other webkit based). Newer versions of WebPositive do also work.
- Sign in to Coverity Scan Site. (Review account info you were given via email)
- Select Haiku project
- Look up a Haiku defect
- Assess and assign the defect. (To yourself, most likely.)
- Commit fixes to defects assigned to you. Mention the CID number in the commit message. ("Bug so and so. CID XXXXX.")
- Mark the defect as resolved. Mentioning the commit revision number. ("fixed in hrevXXXXX")
Once on the Defects tab, use the filters down the left side of the page to filter the list:
- Helpful to use file path to filter query - Example: *servers/app* - lists all defects in the app_server
Source to avoid
- 3rd party code (send patches upstream?)
Source that needs special treatment
Common defects and their resolutions
- PARSE_ERROR - Not necessarily a code issue - this happens when Coverity's tools could not parse the code that was compiled for one reason or another. We don't intend to spend time investigating these as long as we have a significant number of other issues outstanding.
- SECURE_CODING - Usually a warning about potential buffer/string overflow. In most cases, replacing a strcpy() with strlcpy() (DO NOT use strncpy!), sprintf() with snprintf(), or strcat() with strlcat() will satisfy this checker.
- STACK_USE - Not really a bug. It turns out that the new version of the Coverity software automatically enabled this checker with default values, when it had been disabled before. This checker is usually used to analyze for defects in kernel or embedded system code which have tight stack limits. For Haiku, "Ignore" is probably the best resolution for now.
- 2013-06-12: haiku-32bit hrev45755 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4
- 2013-03-20: haiku-64bit hrev45379 haiku-image with GPL gcc4
- 2013-03-18: haiku-32bit hrev45379 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4 (first run with Scan 6.5)
- 2012-11-21: haiku-64bit hrev44867 haiku-image with GPL gcc4
- 2012-11-21: haiku-32bit hrev44867 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4
- 2012-08-13: haiku-64bit hrev44503 + github's xyzzy51/haiku/x86_64 branch changes as of 2012-08-11 13:26:59, x86_64 haiku-image with GPL gcc4
- 2012-08-05: haiku-64bit hrev44470 + github's xyzzy51/haiku/x86_64 branch changes as of 2012-08-05 14:20:37, x86_64 haiku-image with GPL gcc4
- 2012-08-05: haiku-32bit hrev44470 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4
- 2012-08-04: haiku-64bit hrev44468 + github's xyzzy51/haiku/x86_64 branch changes as of 2012-08-04 11:02:54, x86_64 haiku-image with GPL gcc4
- 2012-07-29: haiku-64bit hrev44420 + github's xyzzy51/haiku/x86_64 branch changes as of 2012-07-29 14:31:11, x86_64 haiku-image with GPL gcc4
- 2012-07-14: haiku-32bit hrev44338 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4
- 2012-05-13: haiku-32bit hrev44149 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4 (first run with Scan 5.5)
- 2012-04-10: haiku-32bit hrev43983 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4
- 2012-01-29: haiku-32bit hrev43696 nightly-raw gcc4
- 2011-11-29: haiku-32bit hrev43316 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4
- 2011-07-26: haiku-32bit hrev42464 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4
- 2011-05-12: haiku-32bit hrev41462 nightly-raw gcc4
- 2011-03-08: haiku-32bit hrev40855 nightly-raw with GPL gcc4
- 2010-12-19: haiku-32bit hrev39894 nightly-raw gcc4
- 2010-07-20: haiku-32bit hrev37534 nightly-raw gcc2hybrid
- 2008-11-18: haiku-32bit hrev28644 haiku-image gcc2
- 2008-09-03: haiku-32bit hrev27211 haiku-image gcc2
- 2008-05-21: haiku-32bit hrev25116 haiku-image gcc2
Accounts already created:
Known issues to be resolved by Coverity
- We cannot yet administer extra features such as "Product" and "Component"