|Version 1 (modified by 3 years ago) ( diff ),|
Ad Hoc testing help
Generic questions to help find bugs
- Do all the buttons do what they are expected to do?
- Do the menu bar items work as intended?
- Is any of text in the application partially obscured or hard to read?
- What happens when you change the system font size?
- Does the software have a modern icon or does it have an old 90s style BeOS icon?
- Does it have a Haikuports recipe file?
- What happens if you try to open clearly non-supported files, like say trying to open a video in a image viewer?
- Does the documentation link to the right website and bug tracker?
- Does the application have localisation support? (Can you change the language used by the application?)
- What happens if you resize the application to be really small or really large?
- Can you drag and drop files onto the application in order to open them?
How to brainstorm ideas for enhancements
- You first need to ask your self, 'what type of application is this?' and 'what is the purpose of this application?'.
- Once you have done this, then you should try to work out if you have used any similar applications on Windows, Mac or Linux.
- What features or functions did that application have that maybe this one does not have yet ?
- Check Wikipedia for other applications in this category. They will often have lists of similar software (i.e. List of debuggers) and sometimes even a feature comparison of the different software (i.e. Comparison of debuggers)
- Try look on AlternativeTo for alternative software on other operating systems.
- Have a look at the blurb and the sales pitch of other software to see what features they list.
- Download one two of the more popular applications on the operating system that you normally use and test their features out.
- Try ask users on our forums what type of features that would want from that type of application.
Note: See TracWiki for help on using the wiki.