|Version 1 (modified by 11 years ago) ( diff ),|
Google Summer Of Code 2009 Ideas for Haiku
Here's a list of some of the ideas that have been discussed on the Haiku Development Mailing List
- usb_webcam driver
- usb_video (UVC) driver
- Implement either RamDisk or RamFS
- GCC4 Native toolchain
- DriveSetup -- finish implementation
- bootman -- finish implementation
- IPv6 support
- Improve "ata" bus_manager (adding DMA and ATAPI support) - assuming
it's still not finished by GSoC time that is
- Port (any) 3d driver to our hardware-acceleration plugin model
(perhaps either the Intel, or AMD reference drivers?)
- Complete the port of FreeBSD wireless stack and at least one driver
(would depend on progress made in the meantime I guess)
- Add OpenBFS support to FUSE (so other OSes could read/write BFS volumes)
- Add PCMCIA support (ok, that ones a bit selfish since I have several
laptops that could benefit)
- Add ExpressCard support (not sure what would actually be needed for
this, but at least hot-pluggable support on top of PCIe I suppose)
- Media Encoding support see ticket #1043 others?
- Testing infrastructure for the media add-ons.
- Generic S/PDIF support in media kit, ie not special cased by the application
- AC-3 encoding support -> S/PDIF, for 5.1 support to receivers in media kit
- Add OpenBFS support, SSD, Transparent compression, Allocate-on-flush, Extents, Desfrag Online,Sparse files, Delayed allocation, Persistent preallocation, and Journal checksumming like Btrfs and ext4 http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4
Sharing tasks with other projects
- AbiWord: update/redo the BeOS port.
- OpenOffice: Some step have been documented on the
EducOOo wiki, and it was planned on doing it as part of it, but maybe some steps could be done as SoC.
- VideoLAN: update the port and rewrite the BeOS GUI
- Scribus: we could also port this Publisher-like app, http://www.scribus.net/
- OpenJDK didn't seem to have participated, but maybe they would help
with the java port
- NetSurf port: improve Haiku support (GUI, bookmark/cache/download
backends, printing, prefs, ...). NetSurf participated last year and is planning this year's tasks. Again having a common task might appeal to Google.
- Eclipse: we could probably use a native eclipse toolkit port, once we
get Java :)
- Cairo: BeOS/Haiku specific code needs updating, we need that for Firefox, and probably other things too...
- BZFlag: Was ported to BeOS long ago, updating the
port would probably not be enough for a single task, but might keep someone busy after he's done with his job :)
- Handhelds.org participated in 2007, maybe they'd be interested in
sponsoring an ARM port
- Mono: partial port was started in 2008.
- wxWidget: there is a port started (called wxBeOS), but no one has time to finish it.
- WINE: port to Haiku
- Continue WebKit Port -syncing ryan's most recent code with the latest svn/git/whatever tree. -removing bugs and other issues on it
- Transmission update the BeOS GUI to work with branch 1.4x's GUI