|Version 4 (modified by 11 years ago) ( diff ),|
Google Summer Of Code 2009 Ideas for Haiku
Here's a list of some of the ideas that have been discussed on the Haiku Development Mailing List
- usb_webcam driver
- make it portable to other OSes
- fix bugs
- add more webcams
- usb_video (UVC) driver -- for higher end webcams and other devices
- GCC4 Native toolchain
- DriveSetup -- finish implementation
- bootman -- finish implementation
- IPv6 support
- Improve "ata" bus_manager (adding DMA and ATAPI support) - assuming it's still not finished by GSoC time that is
- Port (any) 3d driver to our hardware-acceleration plugin model (perhaps either the Intel, or AMD reference drivers?)
- Complete the port of FreeBSD wireless stack and at least one driver (would depend on progress made in the meantime I guess)
- Add OpenBFS support to FUSE (so other OSes could read/write BFS volumes)
- Add PCMCIA support
- Add ExpressCard support (not sure what would actually be needed for this, but at least hot-pluggable support on top of PCIe I suppose)
- Media Encoding support see ticket #1043 others?
- Testing infrastructure for the media add-ons.
- Generic S/PDIF support in media kit, ie not special cased by the application
- AC-3 encoding support -> S/PDIF, for 5.1 support to receivers in Media Kit
- Add support to OpenBFS for SSD, Transparent compression, Allocate-on-flush, Online defragmentation, Sparse files, Delayed allocation, Persistent preallocation, and Journal checksumming like Btrfs and ext4 http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4
- Improve multi-byte support (see tickets #215 #840 #976 #1855 #2241 others?) There is also a huge Unicode support library we could port: http://icu-project.org/
Sharing tasks with other projects
- AbiWord: update/redo the BeOS port.
- OpenOffice: Some steps have been documented on the EducOOo wiki and it was planned on doing it as part of it, but maybe some steps could be done as SoC.
- VideoLAN: update the port and rewrite the BeOS GUI.
- Scribus: we could also port this Publisher-like app, http://www.scribus.net/
- OpenJDK didn't seem to have participated, but maybe they would help with the java port.
- NetSurf port: NetSurf participated last year and is planning this year's tasks. Again having a common task might appeal to Google.
- improve Haiku support (GUI, bookmark/cache/download backends, printing, prefs, ...).
- Eclipse: we could probably use a native eclipse toolkit port, once we get Java :)
- Cairo: BeOS/Haiku specific code needs updating, we need that for Firefox, AbiWord, and probably other things too...
- BZFlag: Was ported to BeOS long ago, updating the port would probably not be enough for a single task, but might keep
someone busy after he's done with his job :)
- ARM port: Handhelds.org participated in 2007, maybe they'd be interested in sponsoring an ARM port
- Mono: partial port was started in 2008.
- wxWidget: there is a port started (called wxBeOS), but no one had time to finish it.
- WINE: port to Haiku
- Continue WebKit Port -syncing ryan's most recent code with the latest svn/git/whatever tree. -removing bugs and other issues on it
- Transmission update the BeOS GUI to work with branch 1.4x's GUI