Opened 5 weeks ago

Last modified 4 weeks ago

#17829 new task

Upgrade FFmpeg to 4.4

Reported by: waddlesplash Owned by: nobody
Priority: blocker Milestone: R1/beta4
Component: Audio & Video Version: R1/beta3
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked By: Blocking:
Platform: All

Description

It has ABI differences with 4.2 and thus we must rebuild the media-addon against it immediately after upgrading.

Change History (7)

comment:1 by waddlesplash, 5 weeks ago

Type: bugtask

comment:2 by pulkomandy, 4 weeks ago

Should this really be a beta4 blocker? We're already going to have (once again) more than 1 year between releases, maybe it's time to stop adding new things to the beta4 milestone and have this in beta5 instead?

What's the reasoning for having it here?

comment:3 by waddlesplash, 4 weeks ago

Note I recorded this as a "task"; I think the only thing required here is that we just rebuild the media-addon against the new FFmpeg. I don't think it will take any amount of time.

comment:4 by waddlesplash, 4 weeks ago

We're still on a version of FFmpeg from 2019, is the main motivation for changing this.

comment:5 by pulkomandy, 4 weeks ago

Ok, I guess I'm a bit worried about the regressions it could cause in media encoding/decoding if we need to adjust how we use the APIs. It would be annoying to further delay the release because of that. It really depends how much the API changed.

In general it's the kind of thing I'd rather do at the start and not at the end of a release cycle.

in reply to:  5 comment:6 by jackburton, 4 weeks ago

Replying to pulkomandy:

Ok, I guess I'm a bit worried about the regressions it could cause in media encoding/decoding if we need to adjust how we use the APIs. It would be annoying to further delay the release because of that. It really depends how much the API changed.

In general it's the kind of thing I'd rather do at the start and not at the end of a release cycle.

I agree, especially since we already have various issues in media encoding/decoding. No need to introduce new, unknown ones.

comment:7 by waddlesplash, 4 weeks ago

Based on reading the changelog, I think the changes are purely in terms of ABI? I agree if we have to make anything but trivial source changes then we should do this later.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.