[Terminal] Enhancements (mostly easy)
|Reported by:||humdinger||Owned by:||pulkomandy|
|Keywords:||Cc:||mattmadia@…, rossi@…, adamghill@…|
|Has a Patch:||no||Platform:||All|
Description (last modified by )
This is hrev28717.
I have a few suggestions to make Terminal more enduser friendly.
I propose to add these lines to inputrc:
Control-f: kill-word "\e[1~": beginning-of-line "\e[4~": end-of-line
Which will activate HOME and END keys and deletes the word to the right of the cursor with CRTL+F. The other lines in that tip refer to international characters which is blocked by another old ticket already, #215.
2. The title tab of Terminal's settings panel should be named like the menu item envoking it: "Terminal Preferences".
3. The colors in the dropdown menu in that panel should be renamed to be more enduser friendly:
- Text under Cursor
- Selected Text
- Selected Background
4. If there is more than one Tab in a Terminal window, ALT+W should only close the current Tab, not the whole window with all the tabbed sessions. That's what ALT+Q is for.
5. Only the current Tab should be light grey. The others should be darker to have the active one stand out.
6. Instead of "Shell 1,2,3" name each Tab "Alt+1, 2, 3" to remind people of the switching shortcuts. This should take in account the Menu preference setting if anybody uses "CONTROL" instead of "ALT".
7. A bit more complicated: Have a double-click on the "Alt+1,2,3" Tab-label enter editing mode to rename a Tab.
- Tabbed-Terminals that are busy could show a little icon in the tab that gets removed when the prompt's back.
- I'd appreciate to have a checkbox in the "Terminal Preferences" panel called "Automatic coloring of new tabs". This will open every new tab with a different nicely(!) colored profile.
The Tab color should reflect each background color.
I think I better stop now... :) I have to admit that I'm not the world's heaviest shell user, but these are the things I'd find being useful without imposing too much on our weathered shell denizens.
Change History (31)
comment:18 by , 9 years ago
|Status:||new → assigned|