[Find Window]: improve usability for fairly complex query
|Reported by:||emitrax||Owned by:||nobody|
|Has a Patch:||no||Platform:||All|
As for now, if an user, totally unfamiliar with Haiku/BeOS and the tracker, would like to make a query such as
- find all files created/modified after 8 o'clock of today (or ten days ago)
- find all files created this week bigger than 700MB
- find all files created in the last ten minutes
and so on, would have not idea about the input format of both size and date, a part from the fact that she probably wouldn't know that she had to click on "by attribute" to make such queries (or even that such as queries are possible).
The idea is to make this more obvious and easy to do. In order to so I'd like to propose to
- Remove the "by attribute" entry from the second menu from the left
- Add a little arrow with an "advanced" label on its side that when clicked would enlarge the find window by adding the following rows
- [radioButton=before] [inputwidget]year [inputwidget]month (etc. to minutes) [AND|OR]
- [radioButton=after] ...same as above without the AND|OR Size
- [radioButton=bigger than] [spinBox] Mb[AND|OR]
- [radioButton=smaller than] [spinBox] Mb
The AND|OR option would be editable only if both radioButton of the section (date|size) are selected. This way the user can very easily look for file created at any time of any size.
As for the size, by default it should be set on 1 Mb, if the user would like to look for a smaller file, the label would turn into Kb and the number would start from 1024 (same for bigger than 1024 MB -> 1GB, or smaller than 1KB -> 1024 Bytes).
That's it. This would cover most of the query an user would like to do and the "by formula" option would cover the rest for very advanced user.
I hope I made myself clear. Please comment.