Opened 9 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#6103 closed enhancement (fixed)

A localization patch for TV

Reported by: Karvjorm Owned by: pulkomandy
Priority: normal Milestone: R1
Component: Applications Version: R1/alpha2
Keywords: TV Localization Cc: Karvjorm
Blocked By: Blocking:
Has a Patch: yes Platform: All

Description

Here is a localization patch for TV. There are also many style fixes and I added also code to handle messages in VideoNode.cpp. I was not able to localize the name of the application in the Main window.

Attachments (1)

tvLocalization.patch (46.0 KB) - added by Karvjorm 9 years ago.
An updated localization patch for TV

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by Karvjorm

Has a Patch: set

comment:3 Changed 9 years ago by pulkomandy

Owner: changed from nobody to pulkomandy
Status: newassigned

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by pulkomandy

Again, you overused the replaceFirst in AboutBox : what if my language doesn't use elipsis but some other character (think chinese or arabic here) ? Also, you used B_TRANSLATE_MARK, but you still have to call B_TRANSLATE on the variable afterwards, ie B_TRANSLATE(fLocalizedName), whenever you use it.

The debug menu (with pixel aspect ratio and display aspect), on the other hand, could use ReplaceFirst to avoid the translator three almost identical strings to translate.

On MainWin.cpp:248, you introduced a small coding style violation : the comment should be indented one tab more because it refers to the line above (the same apply for some other comments you linebreaked in this file)

The version alert (case M_FILE_ABOUT) is not very locale friendly, it's a good candidate for ReplaceFirst this time.

comment:5 in reply to:  4 Changed 9 years ago by Karvjorm

Replying to pulkomandy:

Again, you overused the replaceFirst in AboutBox : what if my language doesn't use elipsis but some other character (think chinese or arabic here) ?

I have used elipsis just like in other available translations. They work fine as you can see the top-right button in the following picture: http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/5743/printersinrevision36263.png At present B_UTF8_ELLIPSIS is shown in HTA and translator can remove it if she/he wants to. But you are also right: translator cannot remove %2 in my "About %1%2", so I have to change it to "About %1B_UTF8_ELLIPSIS".

Also, you used B_TRANSLATE_MARK, but you still have to call B_TRANSLATE on the variable afterwards, ie B_TRANSLATE(fLocalizedName), whenever you use it.

Where I call that fLocalizedName constant again with B_TRANSLATE ? I do not understand this one.

The debug menu (with pixel aspect ratio and display aspect), on the other hand, could use ReplaceFirst to avoid the translator three almost identical strings to translate.

OK, I will modify these strings.

On MainWin.cpp:248, you introduced a small coding style violation : the comment should be indented one tab more because it refers to the line above (the same apply for some other comments you linebreaked in this file)

OK, I will fix these ones.

The version alert (case M_FILE_ABOUT) is not very locale friendly, it's a good candidate for ReplaceFirst this time.

I disagree. "\nVersion ", "\nRevision ", "\nBuild " are actually list titles and commonly used in software translations. It look like you think translators should have so few strings to translate as possible. But if I could parse these texts to one complicated string, if would not be very locale friendly for the translators at all. Three well-known terms are actually more locale friendly for translators.

Changed 9 years ago by Karvjorm

Attachment: tvLocalization.patch added

An updated localization patch for TV

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by pulkomandy

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

Applied in hrev37303. Thanks !

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.