WebPositive auto-expanding but not changing mimetype
|Reported by:||Pete||Owned by:||leavengood|
|Has a Patch:||no||Platform:||All|
There was a particular gzipped-tar file I needed to download, and used WebPositive to do so. However, Expander wouldn't handle the downloaded file. I switched to BeZilla, and got a file that unpacked correctly.
Looking at the two versions of the file, I saw that the BeZilla one was ~100kB, but the WP one was 290kB! They both had the same filename, and were "application/x-gzip". Reaching the obvious conclusion, I ran "tar -xzf..." from the terminal on the WP file and of course it worked. WP had already expanded it for me, but failed to rename it or change the mimetype!
I tried the same on a "tgz" file from my own website, and neither Bezilla nor WP had any problems. A copy renamed "...tar.gz" was just as happy.
Digging a bit further, I used "wget --save-headers..." on all the files, and found I was being served different headers in each case.
My tgz file has
while the tar.gz one is:
Apache supplied neither with a "Content-Encoding:" header.
The failing file, in contrast, has:
Content-Type: application/x-tar Content-Encoding: x-gzip
FTR the file causing problems is