Poor rtl8139 performance
|Reported by:||kallisti5||Owned by:||nobody|
Description (last modified by )
rtl8139 performance is extremely random.
libvirtd + kvm on Linux
Prepare a Haiku VM.
- 4 cores
- virtio disk
- Network card. "Source Mode: Bridge". Driver: e1000
Download a kernel from kernel.org. Observe download speed. Should be consistent limited by your local internet connection.
- Power off vm
- Change network card to the "rtl8139" driver.
Download a kernel from kernel.org. Observe download speed.
In my tests, the download starts strong at 7MB/s, but then suddenly drops to 230KB/s after somewhere between 7% - 60% downloaded.
- With rtl8139, during speed reduction, one core is pegged at 100%.
- With e1000, all cores have low even load.
- With rtl8139, during speed reduction, mouse movement freezes up
- With e1000, mouse movement remains normal.
Given the observations above, this issue could be related to an interrupt storm.