Improved GUI/behaviour of HaikuDepot
|Reported by:||humdinger||Owned by:||stippi|
Description (last modified by )
HaikuDepot isn't as easy to use as it should be. The changes when showing only "featured" packages (big icons) and all packages (small icons) when searching is a bit confusing (to the newly arrived at least).
Here's a suggestion to improve things without a complete re-write and totally new behaviour.
Mock up first:
- HaikuDepot should always start with this window.
- Instead of a Category" pop-up menu, we show big folder icons (add nice overlays per category).
- The "Repository" pop-up moves into the menu bar, as it's not needed that often.
- The "Only featured packages" moves out of the Show menu and becomes a checkbox "Show only recommended picks". There will be no more automatic enabling/disabling of this filtering when searching etc. as it is now. It does exactly what it says, always.
- The "Choose category" button (might be replaced with an icon button or better label...) brings you back to the start window, when you're in a category.
- Entering a search term in the start window will search through all packages, when in a category only in that category.
Otherwise, the display of packages is as it's now. When "Show only recommended picks"is active show the big icons list, when not the small icons list.
The icon size could be configurable from the "Show" menu with a new item "Recommended picks icon size" (who can come up with a shorter label?) and a submenu with 16-128 pixels. The icon size might fit better into a new "View" menu, but maybe adding another menu with just one item isn't great either...