Opened 12 years ago

Closed 12 years ago

#1509 closed bug (fixed)

Tracker Crashes When Starting / Booting Haiku

Reported by: tonestone57 Owned by: axeld
Priority: critical Milestone: R1
Component: System/Kernel Version: R1/pre-alpha1
Keywords: Cc: bonefish
Blocked By: Blocking:
Has a Patch: no Platform: x86

Description

Tracker crashes when booting into Haiku version 22380.

Seems to happen only about 20% of all boots - somewhat seldom occurrence. Tracker starts up fine the other 80% of booting into Haiku.

Attachments (1)

tracker_crash.txt (3.8 KB) - added by tonestone57 12 years ago.
Tracker Back Trace

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

Changed 12 years ago by tonestone57

Attachment: tracker_crash.txt added

Tracker Back Trace

comment:1 Changed 12 years ago by scottmc

I'm seen it happen on startup with hrev22389, not every reboot and not always tracker. Saw deskbar crash on the very first hrev22389 bootup, pressing ctrl-alt-del then restart desktop brought it back. In 10 or so reboots i've seen tracker crash 2 or 3 of those times, deskbar once, and even had media_server crash once. Didn't see this happen prior to this image, my previous image was from 4-5 days ago.

comment:2 Changed 12 years ago by tonestone57

Component: Add-Ons/TrackerSystem/Kernel

comment:3 Changed 12 years ago by umccullough

I assume this is the same thing experienced in #1512.

This was mentioned in comments from forum post:

http://haiku-os.org/community/forum/tired_of_running_haiku_under_vms#comment-7970

(comments starting at 7970 and below)

comment:4 Changed 12 years ago by scottmc

Probably not the same as #1512, as this isn't a freeze up, it's the deskbar and/or tracker and/or other crashing with a dialog box... We are able to press the continue button and then press ctrl-alt-alt. Then click on restart desktop and then everything is fine. Well except for the other instabilities that have also been reported with the latest builds. But these recent bugs might all be inter-related though.

comment:5 Changed 12 years ago by bonefish

Cc: bonefish added

The problem is this:

reading page from store 0x908ef500 (cache 0x908dc980) returned: Device/File/Resource busy!
vm_page_fault: vm_soft_fault returned error 'Device/File/Resource busy' on fault at 0x3c4206, ip 0x3c4206, write 0, user 1, thread 0x4b

It seems the TryLock() in bfs_read_pages() isn't a good idea after all.

comment:6 Changed 12 years ago by tonestone57

Thanks bonefish, I'm hoping someone will fix it soon.

I was going to do further testing with a newer Haiku image but had no time.

The crashing was only occurring with tracker when first starting up Haiku. I must have had tracker crash about 5 ( to 7 ) times and deskbar 3 times on about 12 boot ups.

This is on a single core, Athlon XP system. I believe those with multi-core were experiencing the tracker crashing more often.

I'll retest Haiku image once I know this bug has been fixed.

PS bug 1512 sounded similar, but that one concerns the system "freezing" and this one is about tracker and/or deskbar crashing on boot. Though the same issue might be affecting both bugs?

comment:7 Changed 12 years ago by axeld

Status: newassigned

comment:8 Changed 12 years ago by axeld

Priority: normalcritical

comment:9 Changed 12 years ago by axeld

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

Fixed in hrev22434.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.