Opened 12 years ago

Closed 11 years ago

#1581 closed bug (fixed)

'makeinfo' detection broken in buildtools when using texinfo/makeinfo 4.10 or greater

Reported by: kad77 Owned by: bonefish
Priority: normal Milestone: R1
Component: Build System Version: R1/pre-alpha1
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked By: Blocking:
Has a Patch: no Platform: All

Description

I've discovered that the 'configure' scripts for legacy gcc and gcc4 will fail if you are using a texinfo package version 4.10 or above. The buildtools will not compile without 'makeinfo'. This updated package will likely hit more that Fedora 7 and Arch in the semi-near future.

The script checks for 'makeinfo' version 4.4 or greater, but due to the exact regex used, 'configure' fails to recognize 4.10 and 4.11 are 'or greater'... and 'makeinfo' is not found, build fails.

Look for this section in the two configure scripts:

if ${MAKEINFO} --version \
| egrep 'texinfo[^0-9]*([1-3][0-9]|4\.[4-9]|[5-9])' >/dev/null 2>&1; then

I have made a slight modification, which fixes the build problem:

egrep 'texinfo[^0-9]*([1-3][0-9]|4\.([4-9]|[1-9][0-9])|[5-9])' >/dev/null 2>&1; then

While this small change works for me, I did not test the fix on an older version of texinfo - though it should work.

Attachments (1)

binutils-configure.patch (1.2 KB) - added by tombhadac 11 years ago.
Patch made with svn diff

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed 12 years ago by kad77

While it is the buildtools sections I was referring to, it is the binutils configure script that the fix should be applied to. Patch the main binutils/configure script in both legacy gcc and gcc4 and things should work properly again with more recent texinfo builds.

comment:2 Changed 12 years ago by bonefish

Can you attach this change as a patch please. Thanks.

comment:3 Changed 11 years ago by tombhadac

Ive attached an patch for it.

Changed 11 years ago by tombhadac

Attachment: binutils-configure.patch added

Patch made with svn diff

comment:4 Changed 11 years ago by bonefish

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

Thanks, applied in hrev22729. I changed the "[0-9][0-9]" to "[1-9][0-9]", though.

comment:5 Changed 11 years ago by mmu_man

Resolution: fixed
Status: closedreopened

B_DONT_DO_THAT ! Do *not* change a configure script directly. One must change configure.in and rerun autoconf.

comment:6 Changed 11 years ago by bonefish

Resolution: fixed
Status: reopenedclosed

Thanks for the heads up. It's EDNTDOTHT in this case, though. ;-)

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.