Devices Application improvements
|Reported by:||PieterPanman||Owned by:||nobody|
|Has a Patch:||no||Platform:||All|
Congratulations on Alpha 2, another important step towards a stable and complete R1. This ticket is to document my ideas and let you guys know I do plan to update the Devices application. I'm currently working on my final thesis, slightly delayed, I will be finished June 9th. Add a holiday to get over my mental breakdown (just kidding, more like a good hangover ;)), and I'll get back to work on this.
Have a look at the list below, and if you see ideas, feel free to add them
Ideas/TODO's short term:
- Fix up the way the categories are copied from the original pci ids list. (Suggested on the haiku-development mailing list a while ago, )
- Integrate localization patch, if it hasn't already been done (#5912)
- Fit in ACPI nicely, right now it creates a lot of unknown devices ;) (new since enabling ACPI)
- Properly support the used driver for a device (means modifying the kernel, maybe add a syscall or extend an existing one) See http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/device-manager-driver-in-use-to-userspace
- Try to make the device names a bit shorter somehow.
- Separate the pci and other enumeration data into an enumeration service (also discussed on the mailing list http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/generic-enumeration-API-was-Haikucommits-r32036-haikutrunksrcpreferencesscreen)
- Implement providing feedback about hardware support and tie it into a Haiku hardware database, or the Haikuware database. Also make the possibility of grouping the hardware into one complete 'machine' such as off the shelf netbooks, with possibly additionally installed components.
- Icons for device types (http://furix.free.fr/)
- Add USB device support, or wait for it to be integrated to the new Device Manager style.
- From the above submit feedback experience, create functionality to allow normal users to send all the useful things in one zip. Sort of like Colin's script. http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/haiku-wifi/wiki/How_to_submit_bug-reports (Right now, I think of all devices info, usb info, syslog, a problem description and some other things). Maybe this should be a separate application though.