Fix keymaps (physical keys with same labels should have same functions)
|Reported by:||rq||Owned by:||axeld|
|Has a Patch:||no||Platform:||All|
Some may disagree, but I strongly suggest that the functions of same keys on different sides of the keyboard should be the same. By that I mean that I find it weird that:
- Right Ctrl key has the same function as left Alt key
- Left Ctrl has a different function.
- Right Alt key has the same function as Left Windows (Cmd?) key
- Right Windows key seems simply unassigned.
While I know that we strive for compatibility with BeOS, I also wish we didn't sacrifice sane choices just in favor of it. Don't forget that BeOS was designed for its own distinct computer which probably had its own distinct keyboard. Plus, it was influenced by Macs, while I think we target PC's mostly.
My suggestion is simple: the physical key labels should match programmatical ones.
- both Ctrl keys should have the same function.
- both Win/Cmd keys should have the same function
- Alt/Opt keys could either have the same, or two distinct functions, but only because right Alt is designated AltGr (and is usually the only key that toggles third level) on European keyboards.
This should be reflected in Keymap preflet, but also deeper in the OS itself.
See also #6362
Change History (14)
comment:5 by , 9 years ago
|Summary:||Physical keys with same labels should have same functions → Fix keymaps (physical keys with same labels should have same functions)|