Opened 9 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#6580 closed bug (fixed)

r38378 broke MAC addressing for wireless connections.

Reported by: jstressman Owned by: axeld
Priority: normal Milestone: R1
Component: Network & Internet/Wireless Version: R1/Development
Keywords: wifi ieee80211 MAC Cc: jstressman@…
Blocked By: Blocking:
Has a Patch: no Platform: All

Description

After revision hrev38378 my atheros card and the router they were connecting to reported incorrect MAC addresses in the form of "ff:ff:ff:f?:02:00" with the "?" changing between devices.

I narrowed it down to occurring between nightly builds hrev38360 and hrev38383, and as the only seemingly relevant revision between those two was hrev38378, I backed that revision out, rebuilt the image and tested it and sure enough I got an IP address correctly and the MAC addresses were correct again.

That is the extent of my "hello world" level abilities though, so I can't figure out what part of the changes in hrev38378 actually broke things.

Change History (2)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by jstressman

I should probably mention that the code I was otherwise using was from hrev38394 (gcc4hybrid with Stack and Tile enabled) and I had also merged in the latest atheros drivers from FreeBSD-HEAD (revision 211330 of the FBSD ath driver), duplicating the relevant changes from the original merge and reverting the new change from IFQ_MAXLEN to ifqmaxlen (back to the original IFQ_MAXLEN).

Before I started making those changes though, the same problem that was introduced in hrev38378 was already there. DHCP had been broken for several weeks, but up until hrev38378 you could still set a static IP and at least connect momentarily before the IP would reset to 169.*. MAC addressing on the wifi was also working prior to hrev38378 and broken from then on (for me at least).

Also, the "fixed" connection isn't terribly useful, as web pages generally don't fully load and I can't stay connected to IRC etc... but I could run a ping on google.com and it didn't seem to be dropping any packets etc. So it's MUCH better than it was before these changes.

Hopefully a fixed hrev38378 along with the properly ported atheros drivers will improve the quality of my connection and get me back on my native hardware again. :)

comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by axeld

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

Fixed in hrev38838.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.