File version as on VMS (DEC VAX)
|Reported by:||FSV||Owned by:||nobody|
|Has a Patch:||no||Platform:||All|
Before, Sorry for my English.
in operational system VMS of computers DEC VAX there was one delightful opportunity, - OS kept all versions of files. Those are, when you wrote down the same file in the same place of file system the operation system did not overwrite an old file, and added to a name of a new file number of its version. The name of a file looked so: File_name.file_extention:file_version_number If the same opportunity could be realized in Haiku, it would be full DELIGHT! For clearing file system from old versions of files the command purge has been stipulated. Has been stipulated also system purge. In Haiku it would be possible to realize this idea by means of attributes and essentially to develop. For example, in adjustments it is possible to provide following options:
- Full switching-off of storage of versions of files.
- To specify depth of preservation of versions of files. We shall tell, to store no more than three versions. At preservation of the new version, most old version automatically to delete.
- Do not create versions for files, which size more the than set size.
- Do not create versions for files of the certain type.
- Do not create versions for the files few differing on time of updating.
- Purge files it is more or less the than set size, an interval on time of creation, etc., etc.
Dear developers, pay please attention to this opportunity. If doubt of its necessity, can it is meaningful open discussion?