Opened 9 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#6100 closed enhancement (fixed)

A localization patch for Workspaces

Reported by: Karvjorm Owned by: pulkomandy
Priority: normal Milestone: R1
Component: Applications/Workspaces Version: R1/alpha2
Keywords: Workspaces localization Cc: Karvjorm
Blocked By: Blocking:
Has a Patch: yes Platform: All

Description

A localization patch for Workspaces. BTW, when I compared the header part of only .cpp file and about text, it looks like one writer is missing.

Attachments (1)

workspacesLocalization.patch (6.6 KB) - added by Karvjorm 9 years ago.
An updated localization patch for workspaces

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by Karvjorm

Has a Patch: set

comment:3 Changed 9 years ago by pulkomandy

Owner: changed from axeld to pulkomandy
Status: newassigned

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by pulkomandy

Hello, Again, don't create BCatalog in main but as a member of WorkspacesApp.

Don't overuse ReplaceFirst : it's not needed in _AboutRequested, here. What if my language requires "written by A B and C" without commas ? Or some other variation ? In this case your solution isn't actually hepling translators, and locks the string in an english format. The idea is to give as much freedom to the translators as possibl.

comment:5 in reply to:  4 Changed 9 years ago by Karvjorm

Replying to pulkomandy:

Hello, Again, don't create BCatalog in main but as a member of WorkspacesApp.

OK, some applications have a scope problem, because main() includes localized strings.

Don't overuse ReplaceFirst : it's not needed in _AboutRequested, here. What if my language requires "written by A B and C" without commas ? Or some other variation ? In this case your solution isn't actually hepling translators, and locks the string in an english format. The idea is to give as much freedom to the translators as possibl.

Some (other) developer here has explained that names and years should be leaved out of localization because they change often and each change should need the update of translations. That's why I have used ReplaceFirst here. At present (with my solution) it is easy to append a new writer after Axel by adding a new name (and comma). But if commas are with the localized text, modification is needed when inserting the next new writer. Obviously, it could be done with some name array and logic, but I do not know how it should solve "the comma problem" you have pointed.

This kind of About text is a very commonly translated text and in mostly languages it is solved by some way. For example, in Finnish commas are not the problem, but "by". It is then replaced by colon: "tekijä: François Revol, Axel Dörfler, etc". But you are right: in Finnish comma is normally not used prior to "and", so including that to localized text should solve this problem partly. I will update this patch.

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by Karvjorm

There is a minor error in my translation above. It shoud be plural form "tekijät: ...". Also, my present solution is difficult for the languages that have different plural form for two, three and four (for example). If the number of names in first "ReplacFirst" is hidden outside of the localized text, the translator cannot use the correct plural form.

Changed 9 years ago by Karvjorm

An updated localization patch for workspaces

comment:7 Changed 9 years ago by pulkomandy

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

Applied in hrev37304. Thanks!

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.